An article by Guy Kawasaki on generating community – Let the Good Times Roll–by Guy Kawasaki: The Art of Creating a Community. Aimed primarily at generating communities to support business it has some points that would translate into building communities – particularly online ones – for other purposes. The article is being updated and revised every so often too. Here’s a list of points raised that are expanded in the article.
- Create something that’s worth building a community around.
- Identify and recruit your thunderlizards—immediately!
- Assign one person the task of building a community.
- Give people something to chew on.
- Create an open system.
- Welcome criticism.
- Foster discourse.
- Publicize the existence of the community.
(BTW – a “thunderlizard” is like an “evangelist”)